Are you going to a 4th of July BBQ this year? Or perhaps hosting one yourself? If you want an easy, crunchy side to take with you or to serve to your guests, this summer coleslaw salad is the perfect addition to any BBQ! You get the crunch from the coleslaw without the calories you get with chips & everyone will keep going back for more!!
I’ve been making this side for years because it’s so easy and hits the spot at a BBQ! I love the tanginess of the Italian dressing but if you have a different favorite dressing, feel free to use it. Make this salad you’re own! I don’t really measure, I just pour and taste until it tastes good to me. You can also feel free to swap out the sunflower seeds for nuts such as pecans, walnuts, or almonds. I’ve even added diced chicken to make a complete meal.
4th of July Crunchy Coleslaw salad (THM S)
- one bag of prewashed tri-color coleslaw
- feta cheese
- bacon pieces
- sunflower seeds
- Olive Garden italian dressing or any on plan dressing (if storebought just make sure it has 2 grams or less of sugar/serving, if you're more of a purist, the Primal Kitchen Italian dressing is yummy with this). This is not an exact science, you can make this recipe your own!
- Dump the coleslaw in a bowl
- add 1/2 a container of feta cheese (about 3 oz)
- Add the bacon pieces
- Sprinkle two large handfuls of sunflower seeds on top
- Pour dressing on top (I don't measure this, I simply pour around the perimeter of the salad, mix, and then taste to see if I want to add more;)
- Voila! You are finished!!
- This is best made right before your BBQ, but you can make it the night before