Mexican food is one of my family’s favorites! Everyone loves Mexican night over here. My MIL makes some amazing white enchiladas so I thought I would try my hand at making a THM version of them.
This creamy white sauce is THM & low carb friendly. One of the major swaps I did was replace enchilada sauce with Salsa Verde. The ingredients are much purer & the taste is better in my opinion. My whole family agreed that they turned out delicious, & my husband gave them 10 out of 10 so I call that a win!
Low-Carb Creamy Enchiladas (THM S, keto friendly)
- 3 1/2 c. shredded chicken
- 3 1/2 c. mexican cheese blend
- 16 ounces light sour cream
- 8 ounces 1/3 fat cream cheese
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. fresh cilantro diced
- 6 large low carb tortillas
- 8 small low carb tortillas
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray a 9X13 pan & a 7 x11 rectangular pans with coconut or olive oil spray
- Make the chicken in an instant pot by adding 8-10 frozen tenderloins, 2 cups of water & some garlic seasoning. Close the lid and set to poultry mode
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, chicken broth, & 1 cup salsa verde to a large skillet
- Mix with a silicon whisk & cook on medium high heat until smooth
- Set aside
- Once the chicken is finished in the instant pot, shred & transfer to a mixing bowl
- Add 2 cups mexican cheese & 1 cup salsa verde & mix with the chicken
- Put your sauce skillet next to your chicken mixture on a clear space ready for assembly near the sprayed pans
- Spread 1 cup sauce on the bottom of each pan
- Stack low carb tortillas on a plate
- Assemble the large low carb tortillas first by spreading 3/8 cup chicken filling & 1/8 c. creamy sauce in the center of the tortilla. Roll like a burrito & place in 9 X 13 pan seamside down
- Repeat this step for all large low carb tortillas
- Assemble the small low carb tortillas next. Fill with 1/4 c. chicken filling & a scant 1/8 c. sauce, roll like a burrito, & put in the smaller pan seamside down. Repeat until all 8 tortillas are used up.
- Spread the remaining creamy sauce over both pans with a spatula
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 c. cheese over the enchiladas in both pans
- Cover with foil & bake enchiladas for 30 minutes
- Remove foil & broil at 425 for 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown
- Serve the enchiladas immediately with some greens on the side
- Enjoy 1 large enchilada or 2 small ones for a nice S meal
What is your favorite enchilada recipe?
Where does one obtain “low carb” tortillas?
Any grocery store 🙂 I get mine at Walmart, but they are always with the regular tortillas, just look for the ones labeled low-carb 🙂
I made this for dinner today and my husband and I loved it. I pinned the recipe for future dinners. Thank you for posting!