The ultimate comfort food is mac & cheese! It was one of my favorites growing up & it’s now a favorite of my 5 kiddos. I wanted to make a healthier version that didn’t involve a cheesy powder. I use Dreamfields pasta in this low-carb mac & cheese which is more carb friendly than other kinds of pasta. You can also sub out the pasta for cauliflower or broccoli even. Make it your own based on what works best for you! It’s perfect for special occasions like Thanksgiving & Christmas because it’s decadent, comes together quickly & you won’t have any guilt (or bloat) afterward 🙂
Low-Carb Mac & Cheese
- 1 box Dreamfields pasta
- 3 T. butter
- 2 T. baking blend almond flour works too
- 2 c. almond milk
- 1 c. cheddar cheese + a handful more
- 1 c. mozarella
- 1/4 c. parmean cheese from the green can
- 1 t. Paprika
- 1 T. garlic salt
- garnish of dried basil or parsley
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box
- Make a roux by combining the baking blend & butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Slowly add in the almond milk, 1 c. cheddar cheese & mozzarella continually stirring with a silicon whisk until well combined
- Turn off heat
- Mix in paprika & garlic salt until well combined
- Mix cheese sauce with cooked pasta in a greased 9 X 13 pan (use olive oil or coconut spray)
- Sprinkle 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, a handful of cheddar cheese & then basil or parsley on top
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted
What is your favorite way to enjoy Mac & Cheese? For a full meal using the same recipe, check out my Chicken Carbonara
Sounds great! Hoping to make this this weekend. I don’t see almond milk listed in the ingredients, though? How much?
Hi Angela 🙂 Sorry about that, it’s 2 cups of almond milk. I adjusted the recipe. Enjoy!